Saturday, June 29, 2013

My Arch Nemesis

I recommend reading the post below to give yourself a little background.

So I made the mistake of being a compassionate human being and giving this woman the benefit of the doubt.  Not good.  Let's call it half an hour later, she has about one stack ($100) in front of her.  She's in seat 9, I'm in seat 3, so I have position on her 67% of the time.  She raises to $15 in early position.

Sidebar: a $15 raise in 1/2 (at least where I play) is a a significant raise.  The standard bets are usually $7-12.  I'm sitting with about 5 stacks, so I can afford to loosen up and see some flops, especially against players who I feel I can outplay.  Her reaction to the $15 mentioned in the previous post did give me some valuable information.  I learned that the money is important to her.  I'm not trying to sound like an asshole, but you know what I mean.  I don't think she's going to bet with nothing, and piss it away.  This means that if she checks the flop first, I can bet and she'll fold a large percent of the time (whiffing)

Back to the story, I have K9 of clubs.  Not a good hand, but I have position and sense weakness, so what the hell.  The flop is 9 blank blank, two clubs.  This is one of those flops that can get people into trouble.  I know that she bet $15, so she could easily have an over pair.  I'm not trying to lose $100 in an attempt to win $15.

She checks.  I bet $25.

This is where it gets interesting.  She takes 90% of her stack into her hand, reaches over the betting line (which is enforced) drops the $25 without saying anything, and brings the rest of the stack back with her.  The dealer informs her that all the chips in her hand need to stay out there.  Her reaction is obviously much worse then when she heard she owed $15.  This will cost her about $75.  She starts to argue, saying she didn't know the rules, that she's never played here, blah, blah blah.  The floor is called.

Here's what's going though my head.  I really didn't want to have to call a check raise all in, but this isn't that. Her reaction is telling me that she does not have a $75 hand.  Second, one thing I've learned is that these situations can give you away.  I sat there, and didn't say a word.  The dealer and the floor can work it out.  My getting passionate about it (either way) isn't going to help, and will give my hand away.  I think my 9's are good (right now) but don't really know what she has.  I have the K high flush draw and a decent kicker with the 9s, but who knows...I certainly didn't.

The floor's decision makes me a bit mad.  He warned her, let her call, and take her chips back.  Whatever.

The turn is a K.  I have top two pair with the second nut flush draw.  Ok, now I'm good.  She checks.  I bet $50.  She calls.  She has about $20 behind.  The river pairs the board, but it doesn't matter. I bet the rest, she folds, showing AQ of clubs (nut flush draw).

I win the pot, but it doesn't feel good.  Should I have demanded the money stay in?  Should I have even been in the hand?  Did I play it right?

By my calculations, this woman now owes me $35.

Arch Nemesis

She starts talking.  She goes on and on about how she plays so much poker, and has never heard of a place that enforces the line.  She says the line should have a "bet line" label so people would know.  Blah, blah, blah.  The dealer warned her, the floor warned her, I warned her, and she somehow saved herself her whole stack.  You'd think this would be enough to teach someone right? Wrong.

About five hands later, she's in the hand, I'm not, and neither is the one seat.  The same exact thing happens (new dealer).  She puts her whole stack across (doubled up twice) to make a small call.  I look at the guy in seat one who sees it as well.  We don't say anything.  Etiquette says let the players in the hand/dealer handle it.  Which is exactly what we did.

The hand ends, and seat one says, "you know you did it again right?" she goes off.  She yells many things.  How it doesn't make a difference.  That we need to leave her alone, that we shouldn't say anything that she's just playing for fun.

I love bad players.  I try to keep them happy, I want them to sit down next to me (on my right) and have the most fun they've ever had losing money to that really nice kid in the Purdue hat.  But I can't stand people who run their mouth for no reason.  I'm thinking "Lady, you f'ing owe me.  It's because I allowed you to be here, that you are still here...stfu" as she continues to talk and talk and talk.  I decide that no matter what happens, I want all her chips.

Well, I don't get them.  She turned that $20 into about $150 (not through me).  Because of the $35 I let her get away with, she was able to walk away with the stack and a half.

I am the rightful owner of that $150, and I'll be waiting.

5 comments:

  1. Purdue hat, smug attitude...something tells me that if this were a white guy instead of an african american girl, you would have a totally different perspective. It was so benevolent of you to allow her to play...Master.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purdue hat, smug attitude. I must be white. Jokes on you Fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happen to agree with Rhino, this african american lady had no right to do what she did. Rhino, why didn't you alert the management at the establishment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on Rhino. Don't hide behind that computer screen pretending to be someone you're not. If you aren't white, then I'm green.

    ReplyDelete